Tuesday, 26 January 2010

A Return to Gigrin

Sunday 24 January

Laura shares my love of Gigrin and the Elan Valley so was eager to see the hundreds of Kites that were present last weekend. I was also hoping for another chance to get some pics of the Black Kite.

Unfortunately today was another overcast day with grey sky, so not great for photography. Good numbers of Kites began to gather and were soon swooping down for food. Then, after twenty minutes, the Black Kite showed up!

Black Kite

Black Kite

He gave wonderful views flying around the feeding area. In my panic to take some pics I didn't adjust the exposure correctly, but nevertheless I was pleased to at least get some this time.

Black Kite

Black Kite

Black Kite

Black Kite

He left, empty taloned, and it was back to capturing the Reds.


Red Kite

Red Kite

Red Kite

Red Kite

Twelve Buzzards were on the ground enjoying the feast too.

Black Kite

I hadn't tried this lens with birds in flight before so these trips to Gigrin are giving plenty of opportunities to try it out, with and without a tripod. Now what I really need next time is a nice blue sky.

A bag of chips and drive along the Elan Valley reservoirs finished off a good day very nicely!

Black Kite

No comments: