Saturday, 6 March 2010

A Surprise at Whixall!

With reasonable weather forecast, I decided it was about time I had another go at seeing the SEOs, Hen Harrier and maybe even the Shrike on Whixall Moss.

Arriving at 2.00pm, I was just getting my wellies on, when I happened to glance over at the bungalow by the car park..... and what did I see, but a huge pair of grey wings flying low over the field towards the bungalow! My bins weren't nearby and I only saw it briefly, but surely that was way too big for a Grey Heron!!

It appeared to land, just out of sight. Thoughts of 'Crane' were gathering as I hastily gathered my stuff and rushed to the bungalow with three other birders. We all couldn't believe our luck when we saw that it was a Common Crane and it had landed in a nearby field amongst some Canada Geese!

Record shots were quickly taken by all four of us...

Common Crane Whixall 06-03-10


Common Crane Whixall 06-03-10


A while later I went onto the Moss to look for the Harrier but soon decided I'd much rather by photographing the Crane! I saw the pair in 2008 a few times but missed them last year and these were some of the best views I'd ever had of the species.

Common Crane Whixall 06-03-10


Common Crane Whixall 06-03-10


Common Crane Whixall 06-03-10


It called whilst in the field (and my what a call!!) and again later as it was flying to roost.

Another walk around the Moss from 5.00-6.30pm found nothing but a Sparrowhawk on a post and we saw the Crane coming onto the Moss to roost by one of the pools at 5.50pm.

No comments: