Sunday, 9 May 2010

Wood Lane

Today I decided to head north to see the Barwit at Wood Lane and Hobbys on Whixall. Couldn't resist a quick look at Chelmarsh first though to see if there had been an influx of waders! Well you never know

Or maybe I do... an LRP had the scrape to himself. A Cuckoo was also calling and soon located on a bush nearby. Despite having heard many this year, this was the first I'd actually seen! After being mobbed by a Crow it flew to the big tree allowing me to at least get a record shot.


Cuckoo Chelmarsh


Arriving at Wood Lane there was no sign of the Barwit, so after a quick look to see if anything was on the Meres, I returned and began a long wait in the hide. Hardly any birds were close enough to photograph so the couple that were were very welcome...


Grey Heron Wood Lane


Tufted Duck Wood Lane


Tufted Duck Wood Lane


These I took to show Laura who's always loved Great-crested Grebes!


Great-crested Grebe Wood Lane


Great-crested Grebe


Then at around 1.30pm I heard a wader. Not knowing many calls, I expected to see the Barwit appear, but what flew across the pool had a curved bill... Whimbrel?? It landed almost out of sight on the far island so a quick walk to the other hide was called for and yep it was!


Whimbrel Wood Lane


Excuse the pic, it was a bit too distant. This is only the second I've ever seen (the first being a few weeks ago) so that brightened up the day nicely!

The weather however was very dull and showery so I decided to give Whixall a miss. Gave up on it Barwit when it was nearly 5pm only to hear later that it was there again that evening!

No comments: